I don't know whether to be alarmed or excited that the month of March approaches, but I'll try to dispense with annoying February deadlines and look forward to a season of spring (but not hay) fever. I feel like dancing. So, it's good that I have Paul Taylor tickets for Sunday afternoon. In the walking department, I'll be heading to Brooklyn again early in the week and the Lincoln Center area on Wednesday.
Here are 10 events I've placed on my calendar:
• ART. Monday, February 23. The Art Show. Park Avenue Armory, Park Avenue at 67th Street. $20. Last Day. noon- 5 p.m. With 70 arts dealers, considered a bell weather of the contemporary art market.
• MUSIC. Tuesday, February 24. Celebration of life and career of legendary folksinger Odetta with performances and readings. At 7 p.m., Riverside Church, Riverside Drive at 122st Street, Morningside Heights, (212) 870-6700, theriversidechurchny.org; free.
• TV POLITICS & MARDI GRAS. Tuesday, February 24. President Obama's Speech to the Joint Session of Congress.
• MUSIC. Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:00 PM. Free Concert - Wednesdays at One. Alice Tully Hall, Starr Theater. Juilliard School Faculty and students of The Juilliard School perform an all-Schubert program. Free, hour-long lunchtime concert on most Wednesdays. No tickets required. Doors open 30 minutes prior to concert. A great chance to hear the new acoustics at the renovated hall.
• FILM. Wednesday, February 25, 2009 Astra Taylor's Examined Life. IFC. Thinkers and philosophers walk around and talk about ideas and life. Article from the NYT here that discusses the filmmaker's choice to talk to the philosophers while they walk around. Of course, I love this idea.
• DANCE. Wednesday, February 25, 2009. Paul Taylor Dance Company opens up a series of performances at the New York City Center. Through March 15.
• ART. Thursday, February 26. The Birth of Expressionism: Brücke in Dresden and Berlin, 1905-1913 opens at Neue Galerie, 1048 Fifth Avenue. Through June 29, 2009.
• ART. Friday, February 27. Opening of What We Call Progress Is This Storm, art by Christopher Lowry Johnson. Through March 28, 2009. Winkleman Gallery, 637 W 27th St.
• WINE. February 27-28. New York Wine Expo & Tasting: Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, New York City. Friday: 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM; Saturday: 2:00 PM - 6:00 PM. 655 West 34th Street, New York, NY 10001. Fri. $85; Sat. $95
• SITUATIONIST FILM ALERT. Sunday, March 1. A retrospective of all six of Guy Debord's films at the Walter Reade Theater, Lincoln Center. For details and to order tickets, see here.
Image: spring bulbs for sale on the streets of New York. by WOTBA.