Once again, here's a small selection of upcoming cultural events in New York City for next week. A long list of events, while more accurate in reflecting the vast array of choices available for spending a week in the big city, is way too overwhelming, I find. My philosophy is the same as for managing goals and tasks - choose, prioritize, and try to accomplish big tasks in small steps. When I make these shorter lists for the calendar, I find that I actually attend at least two of the events (weather permitting). And that's better than none.
Perusing the short list below, the week emphasizes the visual arts. The Art Show at the Park Avenue Armory affords the opportunity to survey trends in contemporary art with over 70 art dealers represented. I would have added two more musical performances to this list - M. Ward and Vivian Girls at the Apollo Theater (253 W 125th St.) and Leonard Cohen at the Beacon Theatre (2124 Broadway), both on Thursday night, but they're sold out. I suspect I'll be writing a lot about art this coming week.
• MUSIC. Monday, February 16. 10 p.m. Our Hit Parade with Kenny Mellman, Bridget Everett, Neal Medlyn, Molly Pope, Billy Eichner, David Neumann, Lady Rizo, Jenn Harris, Varsity Interpretive Dance Squad and more 10pm. Joe's Pub at the Public Theater, 425 Lafayette St.
• MUSIC. Tuesday, February 17. Terence Blanchard 9pm. Village Vanguard, 178 7th Ave S.
• LITERARY. Wednesday, February 18. Peter Matthiessen 7:30pm. Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM), 30 Lafayette Ave, Brooklyn.
• FILM. Thursday, February 19 - Saturday, February 21. Three days of films, including many new shorts, by artist and filmmaker Alfred Leslie. Anthology Film Archives, 32 Second Avenue. Programs begin at 7:30 p.m. See website for details.
• ART. Thursday, February 19. Lisa Yuskavage. David Zwirner, 533 W 19th St. (533 Viewing Room). Through March 28, 2009.
• ART. Thursday, February 19 - Monday, February 23. The Art Show. Park Avenue Armory, Park Avenue at 67th Street. $20. With 70 art dealers, with proceeds benefiting the Henry Street Settlement.
• MUSIC. Thursday, February 19. The Silos. 9 pm. Lakeside Lounge, 162 Avenue B (between 10th & 11th Streets). Free.
• MUSIC. Friday, February 20. Ute Lemper. 8:45 pm. Café Carlyle, 35 E. 76th St.). Through March 7. These shows are NOT free. $60-$75 cover at tables; $95 VIP; $40 at the bar
• ART. Friday, February 20. Apparently Invisible: Selections Spring 2009. Presents work by nine artists selected from the Viewing Program. The Drawing Center, 35 Wooster St. Through March 28, 2009
• ART. Friday, February 20. Simon Evans: Island Time. James Cohan Gallery, 533 W 26th St. Through March 21, 2009
• MUSIC. Saturday, February 21. B.B. King and Buddy Guy. 8 p.m. Beacon Theatre, 2124 Broadway. $62–$139.50
• TV. Sunday, February 22. The Oscars. 8 p.m. ET. Your couch, ABC.
Image: Movie Star News, 134 West 18th St. Enormous selection of movie posters, pinups, and photos, just in time for the Oscars. See their website for hours.